English in Margate levels
What an English in Margate student CAN DO at each level
- Native speaker competence
- CAN advise on or talk about complex or sensitive issues, understanding colloquial references and dealing confidently with hostile questions.
- CAN understand documents, correspondence and reports, including the finer points of complex texts.
- CAN write letters on any subject and full notes of meetings or seminars with good expression and accuracy.
- EiM level 5 leading to C2
- CAN contribute effectively to meetings and seminars within own area of work or keep up a casual conversation with a good degree of fluency, coping with abstract expressions.
- CAN read quickly enough to cope with an academic course, to read the media for information or to understand non-standard correspondence.
- CAN prepare/draft professional correspondence, take reasonably accurate notes in meetings or write an essay which shows an ability to communicate.
- EiM level 4 leading to C1
- CAN follow or give a talk on a familiar topic or keep up a conversation on a fairly wide range of topics.
- CAN scan texts for relevant information, and understand detailed instructions or advice.
- CAN make notes while someone is talking or write a letter including non-standard requests.
- EiM level 3 leading to B2
- CAN express opinions on abstract/cultural matters in a limited way or offer advice within a known area, and understand instructions or public announcements.
- CAN understand routine information and articles, and the general meaning of non-routine information within a familiar area.
- CAN write letters or make notes on familiar or predictable matters.
- EiM level 2 leading to B1
- CAN express simple opinions or requirements in a familiar context.
- CAN understand straightforward information within a known area, such as on products and signs and simple textbooks or reports on familiar matters.
- CAN complete forms and write short simple letters or postcards related to personal information.
- EiM level 1 leading to A2
- CAN understand basic instructions or take part in a basic factual conversation on a predictable topic.
- CAN understand basic notices, instructions or information.
- CAN complete basic forms, and write notes including times, dates and places.
Website by isle.