Getting a visa to enter the United Kingdom to study at English in Margate
This page is designed to give an overview of the UK visa system for students wishing to study at English in Margate. The regulations can change quickly, so we cannot guarantee that the information shown here is always completely up to date. It is our understanding of the regulations and is for guidance only.
We would strongly advise you to check the relevant information on the UK Border Agency website or check with your local UK embassy or consulate for any changes. If you are applying for a visa, it is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all the current requirements.
Do you need a visa?
If you are a citizen of a country in the European Union, the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, you don’t need a visa to enter the UK to study at English in Margate. If you come from anywhere else you will need a visa. If you would like to check if you require a visa or not, please check relevant page on the UKBA website.
If you require a visa to study at English in Margate, you will need to apply for a student visitor visa or an extended student visitor visa. The maximum length of time you can stay in the UK with an extended student visitor visa is 11 months.
In order for English in Margate to issue a visa letter, we require payment of £200 plus £50 registration fee.
Student Visitor Visa and Extended Student Visitor Visa
- You can have any level of English from beginner to advanced to apply for this visa (please note we do not offer courses at proficiency level) and we arrange a telephone interview beforehand to measure the student’s language level.
- This visa lasts for a maximum of 6 months (or 11 months for an Extended Student Visitor Visa).
- This visa should be for a minimum of 4 weeks.
- You are not permitted to work whilst in the United Kingdom with this visa.
- You cannot extend this visa – you must return home and cannot apply for a new Student Visitor Visa until a least 6 months after the end date of the previous visa.
- For Visa Nationals you should apply for this visa at home before you travel to the United Kingdom. For Non-Visa Nationals you can apply for a Student Visitor Visa (maximum 6 months) on arrival, but must apply for an Extended Student Visitor Visa (maximum 11 months) at home before you travel to the United Kingdom.
Central African Republic
China (except for Hong Kong and Macao)
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Sao Tome e Principe
United Arab Emirates
The former territories of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia
Studying at English in Margate when you have a visa
While studying in the United Kingdom on a visa you are expected to attend your courses. Attendance is checked daily by English in Margate and we will contact the UKBA if any student is not fulfilling the requirements of his/her visa.
If, upon arrival in the United Kingdom, you are requested to register with the local police English in Margate are happy to help in arranging the interview. This will be noted on your visa on your arrival in the UK. We can also arrange transportation to the police station if required. Please speak to reception for the cost of this. It is also your responsibility to report to the school and to the police any change of address during your stay.